Keto-friendly Kimchi Bacon Fried "Rice" (Kimchi Bokkeumbap)
I’ve been making some changes to my lifestyle for health reasons recently, and I’ve had a lot of success with Keto lifestyle inspired eating and intermittent fasting (this will be a separate other post of its own one day!).
I’ve lost about 16 pounds in a span of 2 months, eating very well and nutritiously with the results speeding up as I adopted IMF and Keto in the last month. I also work out (strength training/yoga) about 4 times a week (just sayin’, hard work pays off).
Traditionally this dish is made with plain white rice, but this recipe made with cauliflower rice is equally satisfying. This is a great recipe for anyone looking for more low-carb meal alternatives.
Prep time: 30 minutes
3 cups uncooked cauliflower rice (pre-made/frozen is fine)
1 loosely packed cup of finely chopped kimchi (~4 to 5 oz)
1/4 cup diced white onion
3 oz finely chopped pork bacon (~3 to 4 slices)
2 tbl kimchi juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbl cooking oil (I used olive oil)
2 tbl unsalted butter
2 medium eggs
green onion slices
toasted sesame seeds
Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add in bacon. Cook bacon until all the fat has been rendered and the pieces start becoming crispy.
2. Add in onion and cook until edges becoming golden, about 3 minutes.
3. Add in cooking oil and sesame oil then add in kimchi. Stir fry for about 7 minutes or until the mixtures takes on a caramelized appearance.
4. Add in butter to the kimchi/bacon mixture before adding in cauliflower.
5. Add in cauliflower rice, kimchi juice and soy sauce and stir fry for about 8 minutes.
7. Plate fried rice and garnish with a fried egg, green onion slices and sesame seeds. Drizzle more sesame oil on top if you wish. Runny yolk preferred. Yum.